'Disgusting': Cannes film sparks mass walkout

May 15, 2018
25 Views


More than 100 people have reportedly walked out of the latest film by Lars Von Trier during a premiere at the Cannes Film Festival.

Some of those who left early called the dark and grisly serial killer comedy The House that Jack Built “disgusting” and “torturous”.

The movie, starring Matt Dillon as the lead, is written and directed by the Danish filmmaker, who was banned from Cannes in 2011 for saying he sympathised with Adolf Hitler.

Dillon portrays a serial killer as he carries out 12 murders and shows the mutilation of women and children.

One of those who left before the end was the Showbiz 411.com reviewer, who tweeted: “Walked out on LarsvonTrier . Vile movie. Should not have been made. Actors culpable.”

Variety’s Ramin Setoodeh posted a picture of people leaving, saying: “I’ve never seen anything like this at a film festival. More than 100 people have walked out of Lars von Trier’s ‘The House That Jack Built,’ which depicts the mutilation of women and children. ‘It’s disgusting,’ one woman said on her way out.”

The Playlist said on Twitter: “Lars Von Trier’s ‘The House That Jack Built’ Is Repulsive, Toxic Trash.”

But the Danish director was unrepentant, saying: “That’s what I hoped.

“Yeah. Because, you know, if you stand up and walk out then you have had a thought process before for a long time you think, ‘I’m not gonna stand for this’ or ‘I can’t take this,’ or whatever. So anything that makes people think, I believe is sound.”

Critics called the movie 'vile' and 'disgusting'
Image:
Critics called the movie ‘vile’ and ‘disgusting’

The Dane’s treatment of women has also been questioned, as most of the female cast are victims of Jack’s brutality, and not smart enough to escape his wrath.

But von Trier disagreed, saying: “I made quite a lot of films about women, so now I made one about a really evil bastard. And the funny thing is that you actually are with him the whole way.”

Director Lars von Trier (L) and actors Siobhan Fallon Hogan and Matt Dillon arrive for the screening
Image:
Lars von Trier (L) and actors Siobhan Fallon Hogan and Matt Dillon at the screening

The programme schedule included a warning, which read: “Certain scenes are likely to offend the sensitivity of the spectators.”

The festival had just lifted a ban on the controversial director – after he joked in 2011 that he sympathised with Hitler – so he could screen this new film.



Source link

You may be interested

Madonna birthday: Queen of Pop turns 60 – how she became the cultural icon of a generation
Music
shares0 views
Music
shares0 views

Madonna birthday: Queen of Pop turns 60 – how she became the cultural icon of a generation

admin - Aug 13, 2018

[ad_1] She faced rejection after rejection and was told she would never make it so resorted to nude modelling and…

James Bond: Why Idris Elba is NOT about to be announced as Daniel Craig's 007 replacement
Movies
shares0 views
Movies
shares0 views

James Bond: Why Idris Elba is NOT about to be announced as Daniel Craig's 007 replacement

admin - Aug 13, 2018

[ad_1] The incumbent 007 still has James Bond 25 to shoot starting this December, in time for an October 2019…

SW4 Festival: The five MUST SEE acts at this year’s South West Four 2018 in Clapham Common
Music
shares0 views
Music
shares0 views

SW4 Festival: The five MUST SEE acts at this year’s South West Four 2018 in Clapham Common

admin - Aug 13, 2018

[ad_1] MarshmelloHeadlining the main stage on Saturday, viral sensation Marshmello has come out of nowhere in the last year, and…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.